Thursday, September 29, 2005

Don't Put Words In My Mouth


I know this is only my second post and I'm returning to yet the same subject, my son. When I really think about life with him I can't help but reflect on the things I learn on a daily basis.

We have recently returned from a mini vacation to Iowa... (yes, Iowa!) corn, corn, and more corn. However, we made a unexpected stop, The St.Francis Xavier Basilica in Dyersville, Iowa. We had to take turns going in because of the kids. Instead of going in alone, I decided to ask my 3 year old if he wanted to go with me. Of course he said yes, anything to get out of that awful car seat. As we walked in I realized it was a few minutes before Sat night mass and I had a small child who had never been in a church quite like this one.(not so sure what he might do) The church was a magnificent place, something you might see in Europe (yes, in Iowa!). I think we were a little awe struck by its beauty. We both responded with complete silence(a very difficult thing to do for this child). As we moved to the front we observed many people kneeling and praying. We sat down and I asked Will if he wanted to pray and immediately he bowed his head and clasped his fingers as if he had been there before and began praying. It was a very short prayer, but very specific and to the point.

Dear God,
Please help those individuals who were affected by the hurricane and the tsunami and thank you for sending your Son to be on that cross. In His name.
Amen.

I looked at him and thought what an interesting way to word a prayer for a 3 year old and then realized this was the way his daddy prayed. For a split second I thought about asking him to change his words, thinking he needed to use his own words, not daddy's, but I stopped myself.(thank God) Later that day I thought more about his prayer and realized he was repeating what was modeled for him. My mind immediately went to Matthew 5 and the prayer Christ taught His disciples.

Our Father who art in heaven
hallowed be Your name
Your kingdom come
Your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven
give us this day our daily bread
forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us
lead us not into temptation
but deliver us from evil
for thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever
Amen

For a moment I thought we were putting words into Will's mouth. But wasn't that what Christ did for me. He gave me the words, the guideline, the example. Most of the time my prayers are so shallow, all about me. Lord, remind me to meditate on your words and not my own.

No comments: