Thursday, November 17, 2005

You Never Know Who's Watching

Why do I do, what I do, when it comes to my parenting? I think I can give a simple answer, because of one of my dearest friends. A child’s spiritual formation is the most important part of their overall development and it is our responsibility as parents to help nurture this. My first exposure to such a thing was with this special friend. She had just had her first child (one that had been so desperately prayed for). I noticed that she made a point of praying with her little girl from the very beginning. When I say beginning, I mean day one. When my husband and I (before our kids were around) would spend time with this couple it seemed to be right before their little girls bedtime, that’s when I saw and heard the beautiful prayers. I don’t think she knows what her example has done for me and my parenting, but it made me evaluate my own thinking. So many parents believe that a child’s spiritual journey does not begin until the moment she becomes a believer. I however, believe it is a journey that not only begins before birth, but also at the moment that child appears on the scene. Being a mother is sometimes a daunting task, but I do know that in the small things, like prayer, God will show up in a big way,in my life and in my child's. I guess it is true that you never know who’s watching, so thanks Lea, you’re an awesome mom.

No comments: