Wednesday, December 05, 2007

My New Favorite




A Few years ago Barry and I traveled to Spain on a missions trip. While we were there we heard of the Camino de Santiago, a 500 mile or so (for some even longer) pilgrimage. The idea of a modern day pilgrimage seemed interesting, but a little odd. Fast forward to this summer. I came across this title. I immediately recognized the subtitle and decided to take a look.

I can't say enough about this book. My new found interest in the topic may be directly related to the circumstances of my life. It's been an easy read with priceless quotes that have directly affected my way of thinking. Who would have thought that walking would be so profound in a person's life.

Boers words felt so real to me. I felt that maybe we had been on the same journey, his by foot and mine by circumstances. I loved the following quote. It's a little long, but it's what pulled me in.
I encountered challenges that changed and transformed me. I did not welcome those opportunities; I endured them. I had no choice about experiencing them, only in what I would do with those experiences. They all reworked me. Long after the trip was done, I kept pondering it. I set my computer to use Camino photos for desktop pictures and screen savers. Even without such aids, the pilgrimage was always on my mind. Over a year later I still recalled vignettes and incidents every day. Each night, when I lay down, I revisited scenes. When sleep was long in coming, I would recall every place I stayed along the way. As I went for walks, uninvited memories flooded my mind. I always wanted to tell stories about my trip to others, whether visiting friends, sharing a meal with my family or teaching classes. I worried that I might become a bore. I could not stop thinking about what had happened. It took only a month to walk but required much longer to process.

No comments: