Wednesday, December 14, 2005

I Love Dan Zanes


You might ask,"who is Dan Zanes?" He is probably one of the best musicians out there playing kids music. A few months ago we attended one of his concerts (Old Town School of Folk Music,Chicago.Fantastic venue). What a fantastic experience. After the first few minutes I thought,"who cares if my kids don't like him, I LOVE HIM" (they loved him too, by the way).

If you follow music at all you might recognize the name from a band in the 80s, the Del Fuegoes. After having a child Dan realized there was nothing decent out there for kids to listen to so he turned his attention to entertaining kids. He and his band (many dressed as if a 3 year old might have dressed them) play all types of instruments, from the guitar to the mandolin to the upright bass (by the end of the concert, the band had played a dozen different instruments). If you're not drawn to the music, Dan's suits will definitely grab your attention, not to mention the crazy do on top of his head (which I love - my hair looks just like his in the morning too). Dan not only plays your typical folk music with a little spice, but he also borrows from other cultures, my favorite being Father Goose. Father Goose puts a little twist on our favorite nursery rhymes with a Jamaican flavor.

You know you love something when you download the songs onto your ipod and listen even when the kids aren't around. I should have known I would be a fan when Sheryl Crow does a duet with Dan, singing Polly Wolly Doodle all Day. Dan rocks! He even has inspired me to learn to play the mandolin. I don't think I'll be hitting the road any time soon.

My favorite:
Dan Zanes and Friends:House Party

No comments: