Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Christmas Reflection

The other day I was watching one of those early morning news shows and was struck in a profound way by one of those "silly" segments. The premise of the segment was doing kind things for others without expecting anything in return. They had some great ideas, leaving change in the soda machine for the next person, paying for the car behind you in the drive thru, or giving cookies to the local fire station. I thought what great ideas, "how kind." It was really interesting to see a "secular" news station encouraging such behavior. I really began to think about this concept and how it related to my own life. Do I do these types of things because that is what I'm "called" to do as Christian or do I even do them at all? A few days later I found myself looking at Luke 6: 27-36(The Message):

"To you who are ready for the truth, I say this: Love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst. When someone gives you a hard time, respond with energies of prayer for that person. If someone slaps you in the face, stand there and take it. If someone grabs your shirt, giftwrap your best coat and make a present of it. If someone takes unfair advantage of you, use the occasion to practice the servant life. No more tit-for-tat stuff. Live generously.

Here is a simple rule of thumb for behavior. Ask yourself what you want people to do for you, do you; then grab the initiative and do it for them! If you only love the lovable, do you expect a pat on the back? Run-of-the-Mill sinners do that. If you only help those who help you, do you expect a medal? Garden-variety sinners do that. If you only give for what you hope to get out of it, do you think that's charity? The stingiest of pawnbrokers does that.

"I tell you, love your enemies. Help and give without expecting a return, You'll never-I-promise regret it. Live out this God-created identity the way our Father lives toward us, generously and graciously, even when we're at our worst. Our Father is kind; you be kind. "


The more I've reflected on this particular scripture, I've recognized,"what a sinner I am." I've also come to understand more and more that I can not love and serve others on my own. I must live by the Spirit. Without the Spirit, I'm useless. The following is a prayer I came across Praying With the Word: Advent, Christmas and Epiphany. It confesses my sin more clearly than I could ever hope to.


Dear God,
during Advent you are so direct.
You do not beat around the bush,
you say what you mean.
Your word makes me squirm
and challenges me deeply.
You remind me that talk is cheap,
that words mean nothing.
It is, rather
how I live my life that counts.
All my praying means nothing
unless I respond with the totality
of my life
and reach out and follow you
with all my energy.
I talk a good line at times
and fool those aroundme
with my lofty thoughts and ideals.
But I cannot fool you.
I cannot run from you-
for you are total light,
total truth.
You alone know my true thoughts
and motives.
I cry out to you:
"purify my heart
and help me build a strong house,
a house of rock,
built upon your foundation alone."
Then, when the rains and floods
of my selfishness and dishonesty
rage upon me,
I may stand firm
and do your will.
Then your light,
and mine as well,
will truly shine. Amen.

1 comment:

cruisermom said...

Kim! How good it was to see all of y'all on Sunday! You made me realize that I've actually had a blogspot myself..and now it's updated! www.cruisermom.blogspot.com

A Fine Time was had by all of us yesterday at the Cotton Bowl..Roll Tide!!

Hug your kids and tell my nephew "Hey". Hope y'all had a safe and uneventful trip back to the frozen north.
Love you guys...Aunt Frances
francesreed@quiz-tola.com