Tuesday, January 24, 2006

A Thorn

The other day I was watching a chapel service from Wheaton College and the speaker was Steve Saint, son of Nate Saint. He recited the following poem by an unknown author.

"I stood, a mendicant of God, before His royal throne and begged Him for one priceless gift, which I could call my own. I took the gift from out His hand, but as I would depart, I cried, ‘But Lord, this is a thorn and it has pierced my heart. This is a strange, a hurtful gift, which Thou hast given me.’ He said, ‘My child, I give good gifts and gave My best to thee.’

I took it home, and though at first the cruel thorn hurt sore, as long years passed I learned at last to love it more and more. I learned He never gives a thorn without this added grace: He takes the thorn to pin aside the veil that hides His face."

In our trials and struggles, God is with us and loves us so very deeply. I don't completely understand my God, but I do know that He is here.

1 comment:

amykberger said...

thanks for posting this